Topics

Who uses google docs to write

Bernadette Duquette

Does anyone use google docs to write their manuscripts?  Is Word still the preferred software?

I know people are using vellum to format for self publishing, but do any of you use it for writing as well?

Angelica

Hi Bernadette,

I use Google docs exclusively. It gives the flexibility (with ProWriting Aid and Grammarly) to edit within the document. I use an Excel spreed sheet to organize the chapters (much like a Scrivener binder) with a link to each chapter, and knit the chapters together with Google Merge Docs, then download into Word for submission to my clients. For me it’s the fastest, most efficient way to write productively.

On Feb 21, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:

Does anyone use google docs to write their manuscripts?  Is Word still the preferred software?

I know people are using vellum to format for self publishing, but do any of you use it for writing as well?

Mary E Thompson

I write in Vellum. I like being able to see the chapters individually while I’m writing. Vellum also shows how many words are in each chapter and the full book as you write.

I started using Vellum for formatting but write in it now to save time. It’s easy to shift chapters around if I need to. And I didn’t see a lot of difference between writing in there or Word.

--
Mary E Thompson
it's a curvy road to happily ever after

Bernadette Duquette

Angelica,

I am new to google docs so I’m just learning. But I love the ProWriting Aid and Grammarly features.

Are you saying you do each chapter separately?

(We can take this off line if you wish.  My email is BernadetteJonesAuthor@...)

On Feb 21, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Angelica via groups.io <Missprimwriter@...> wrote:

Hi Bernadette,

I use Google docs exclusively. It gives the flexibility (with ProWriting Aid and Grammarly) to edit within the document. I use an Excel spreed sheet to organize the chapters (much like a Scrivener binder) with a link to each chapter, and knit the chapters together with Google Merge Docs, then download into Word for submission to my clients. For me it’s the fastest, most efficient way to write productively.

On Feb 21, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:

Does anyone use google docs to write their manuscripts?  Is Word still the preferred software?

I know people are using vellum to format for self publishing, but do any of you use it for writing as well?

Kris Anne

I love google docs. It’s easy to navigate if you jump around like I do and you can write on any device since its a cloud based program. I use word rake so I end up putting it in word and edit and format there but I start with google docs.

Kris Anne Dean -Author

Dark and Dangerous Desires (Mafia, Menacing and MC)

Website: http://bit.ly/KrisAnneDean-DarkRomance

Facebook Page: http://bit.ly/krisAnneDeanFBPage

Instagram: http://bit.ly/KADInstagram

On Feb 21, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:

Does anyone use google docs to write their manuscripts?  Is Word still the preferred software?

I know people are using vellum to format for self publishing, but do any of you use it for writing as well?

Bernadette Duquette

Thank you Mary.  I was thinking of investing in that program for formatting.  So maybe it is a good answer as well.

On Feb 21, 2021, at 10:29 AM, Mary E Thompson <mary@...> wrote:

I write in Vellum. I like being able to see the chapters individually while I’m writing. Vellum also shows how many words are in each chapter and the full book as you write.

I started using Vellum for formatting but write in it now to save time. It’s easy to shift chapters around if I need to. And I didn’t see a lot of difference between writing in there or Word.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 9:40 AM Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:
Does anyone use google docs to write their manuscripts?  Is Word still the preferred software?

I know people are using vellum to format for self publishing, but do any of you use it for writing as well?

--
Mary E Thompson
it's a curvy road to happily ever after

Lidia Zakutnaya

I use google docs too. It allows me to write on the phone, which is a good way to be productive when you would otherwise be wasting time, like waiting at the doctors office. It's also easy to share the document with beta readers.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 10:53 AM Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:
[...]

Tina Donahue

I recently used Google docs for a manuscript since the publisher required it.

Once I got used to it, I breezed along.

The only drawback is how fast the words are saved by Google. If you hit the back arrow too late,  you're outta luck and have to guess what you wrote before.

Tina

--
Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

PASSIONATE PURSUIT - “The story is brimming with risqué retorts and searing sex scenes.” Publishers Weekly
WICKED WHISPERS - 5 STAR REVIEWS
MUZZLING THE BEAST - 5 STAR REVIEWS
DEEP WITHIN ME (4 STARS - ROMANTIC TIMES)
DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)

D.V. Stone

I started with ms. I have 365 so can access it from everywhere. I use Docs when I recieve blog information from others to edit it in but the familiar word is my go to. I tried scribner but was totally lost and didn't feel I needed to invest time and money in to it.
Donna

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 9:40 AM Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:
Does anyone use google docs to write their manuscripts?  Is Word still the preferred software?

I know people are using vellum to format for self publishing, but do any of you use it for writing as well?

Anna Taylor Sweringen

Hi Bernadette,

I stick with Word because it's just easier for my developmental editor to work with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my two cents.

Anna T.S.

Nadia Braeckel

Yes, I love google Docs. My publisher is the one who required it, but once you use it, you'll see why. Many benefits, unlike Word Documents.
-Nadia L. Braeckel
Author/Writer

Check out my author page:
Check out my social media pages:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM Anna Taylor Sweringen <anna.taylor1@...> wrote:
Hi Bernadette,

I stick with Word because it's just easier for my developmental editor to work with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my two cents.

Anna T.S.

Bernadette Duquette

Thank you Nadia.

On Feb 21, 2021, at 6:10 PM, Nadia Braeckel <Torntiesbook@...> wrote:

Yes, I love google Docs. My publisher is the one who required it, but once you use it, you'll see why. Many benefits, unlike Word Documents.
-Nadia L. Braeckel
Author/Writer

Check out my author page:
Check out my social media pages:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM Anna Taylor Sweringen <anna.taylor1@...> wrote:
Hi Bernadette,

I stick with Word because it's just easier for my developmental editor to work with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my two cents.

Anna T.S.

Nat from Kindletrends

I've been finding that Word's dictation is getting better and better, for what it's worth.  I'm actually switching back to Word now - despite the lack of outlining support - just to do my dictation.  It's much better at recognising homophones correctly than Dragon for me.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 at 13:29, Bernadette Duquette <BernadetteJonesAuthor@...> wrote:
Thank you Nadia.

On Feb 21, 2021, at 6:10 PM, Nadia Braeckel <Torntiesbook@...> wrote:

Yes, I love google Docs. My publisher is the one who required it, but once you use it, you'll see why. Many benefits, unlike Word Documents.
-Nadia L. Braeckel
Author/Writer

Check out my author page:
Check out my social media pages:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM Anna Taylor Sweringen <anna.taylor1@...> wrote:
Hi Bernadette,

I stick with Word because it's just easier for my developmental editor to work with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my two cents.

Anna T.S.

Bernadette Duquette

Thank you so much for your input!

On Feb 21, 2021, at 9:39 PM, Nat from Kindletrends <nat@...> wrote:

[...]

Nat, have you tried using chapter headings for your outline?
Donna

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 9:39 PM Nat from Kindletrends <nat@...> wrote:
[...]

Lisabet Sarai

Greetings,

Before you commit to using Google Docs for your writing, please check the terms of service.

Are you paying for this? If so, what do they guarantee? If your work is lost in a hack or a system crash, do they provide any compensation?

If you're using a free service, I can tell you without even looking at the TOS that you have no rights at all. They assert zero liability. It may even be that Google has the right to use or share your content (though maybe not). At very least, I'm sure it says that they have the right to change the service or make it unavailable at any time. (I've been bitten by using Google Maps in a software system, in this regard. All of a sudden, the software I'd written wouldn't work, because Google changed the interface.) What would happen if all of a sudden Google Docs went away?

(Remember the mess when Blogger brought out its new user interface? Quite a few of us were suffering!)

When something is offered for "free", remember that the company is doing it for a reason. They get something in return, beyond goodwill. So what data are they collecting? What connections are they making? What ads are they selling?

Remember also that everything on the cloud is essentially public, despite what you may hear. Every computer system can be hacked; malware becomes more pernicious and ubiquitous every day.

Please be cautious. Do not automatically trust computer systems with the fruits of your hard work. And always, always, have a backup that YOU control. I am not just being paranoid (though I am a bit of a Luddite). I am a computer professional, and as such, I know something about the limits and the risks in this area.

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
With the right opponent, even Scrabble can be foreplay

PLAYING TO SCORE by Lisabet Sarai
Gay BDSM erotic romance
https://bit.ly/SexyScrabble
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1067359

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Anna Taylor Sweringen

Thanks for these cautions, Lisabet.

I don't use google docs but I have used free versions of other things offered by companies.

Anna T.S.

w/a Anna M. Taylor & Michal Scott

Tina Donahue

Great points, Lisabet.

I'm extremely cautious of using anything online. It's too easy to hack.

That said - one of my publishers insists on Google docs. Since the publisher provides the template, I'm assuming they're paying for the service (if there is a paid service). I know I'm not paying for anything.

Tina

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 8:36 PM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you, thank you, Lisabet.