Topics

Scanning Print Books to Make Ebooks

Marcia James

Hi. A friend of mine got the rights back to her 20-year-old historical romances, and she wants to have the print books scanned in, so she can update them and create ebooks out of them.

She asked me to post the question here, and I hope it's okay to ask: Have any of you done this, and do you have any recommendations for a company or person who can do this scanning?

Thank you!  Have a safe and happy week!

Cynthia Terelst

This sounds like a lot of hard work to me. The problem with scanning is that the text may not always be recognised. Another option would be dictation. Or maybe getting someone to type it.

On 11 Jan 2021, at 12:49 pm, Marcia James via groups.io <acmarcia@...> wrote:

Hi. A friend of mine got the rights back to her 20-year-old historical romances, and she wants to have the print books scanned in, so she can update them and create ebooks out of them.

She asked me to post the question here, and I hope it's okay to ask: Have any of you done this, and do you have any recommendations for a company or person who can do this scanning?

Thank you!  Have a safe and happy week!

Eileen Putman

Blueleaf Scanning:

https://www.blueleaf-book-scanning.com/

Fiona McGier

WTF? This is a "legit" company? JK Rowling was outraged that before any of the later Potter books were out as ebooks, they were already all over the net because folks had scanned in their own copies of the hard cover, and shared them illegally. So how can this company be legit?

Fiona

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Eileen Putman via groups.io <eileenput=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

--
Fiona

Blog and Website: http://www.fionamcgier.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fionamcgier--Download 1st 20% of my books free!
Free Download: Prescription For Love: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18367

Lloyd Meeker

Easily legit. I expect they demand proof of reversion of rights before they provide the service.
Lloyd
--
www.lloydmeeker.com
https://twitter.com/LloydAMeeker
On 1/11/21 3:32 PM, Fiona McGier wrote:

WTF? This is a "legit" company? JK Rowling was outraged that before any of the later Potter books were out as ebooks, they were already all over the net because folks had scanned in their own copies of the hard cover, and shared them illegally. So how can this company be legit?

Fiona

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Eileen Putman via groups.io <eileenput=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

--
Fiona

Blog and Website: http://www.fionamcgier.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fionamcgier--Download 1st 20% of my books free!
Free Download: Prescription For Love: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18367

Linda Rae Sande

Their business scans and converts all sorts of documents, not just books. There are hundreds of companies that have only hard-copy versions of documents and require they be digitized for all sorts of uses (museums are a good example).

For authors who wrote books back in the pre-computer days (on a device called a typewriter), it makes it possible for them to have those hard-copy manuscripts converted to Word files or PDF or text files. The alternative is to have someone type it all again from the hard copy — a much more expensive alternative.

On Jan 11, 2021, at 1:32 PM, Fiona McGier <fiona.mcgier@...> wrote:

WTF? This is a "legit" company? JK Rowling was outraged that before any of the later Potter books were out as ebooks, they were already all over the net because folks had scanned in their own copies of the hard cover, and shared them illegally. So how can this company be legit?

Fiona

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Eileen Putman via groups.io <eileenput=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

-----------------------
Linda Rae Sande
Regency Romance with a Twist • Steamy Ancient Greek  Fantasies
www.lindaraesande.com

Eileen Putman

Blue Leaf is reasonably priced. I have sent them some of my old print backlist that I want to rewrite and put out there again in ebook form, and they are very quick and not expensive. The technology isn't perfect. Sometimes the scan will occasionally read certain letters weirdly, but since I am rewriting the manuscript anyway, I pick up on that.

Eileen

Fiona McGier

Sheesh! I deleted my comment right after I posted it, because when I read further, I realized this was in answer to a question. Next time I'll read older messages first, so I don't make the same mistake again. Sorry! I'm on a few groups that are always warning about scams and such. I thought that's what this was. My bad!

Fiona

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Eileen Putman via groups.io <eileenput=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

--
Fiona

Blog and Website: http://www.fionamcgier.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fionamcgier--Download 1st 20% of my books free!
Free Download: Prescription For Love: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18367

Lisabet Sarai

We've done this ("we" being my techie husband and I). All you need is a good scanner with an auto-feeder attachment and some OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. We use ABBYYFineReader, which can create text and/or PDF output.

The first step is to get the book photocopied on regular sized paper, so you can feed it automatically. As an alternative, you can also chop off the binding if you have the book in paperback, but this is less likely to be successful. The cleaner the copy, the fewer errors the OCR process will introduce.

Most recently we scanned a book written by my late aunt, which I wanted to edit and get back into print. The editing revealed very few errors. The printed book was in good condition, which is part of the reason. But it turned out to be a lot less work than I'd expected.

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
She wants to build sex toys... if they'll let her

THE PORNOGRAPHER'S APPRENTICE by Lisabet Sarai
Steam punk with the emphasis on steam!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MWMZZGP
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1053072

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Marcia James

Thank you for everyone who answered and made suggestion. Have a safe and happy 2021!

Cheryl St.John

I've used Blueleaf for many previously published books when rights reverted and the books had never been digital. Very affordable, fast and efficient. You sent them a print book--they email you a digital file. No problems ever.

--
Cheryl St.John Two hearts