Topics

Reader Magnet #HelpNeeded #givingback

Sloan

Hi, All,

I have a new book coming out in September (hopefully!)  I've been reading and researching book launches, using email list, etc.  But I'm always looking for ways to keep the books that are out there working.  If you haven't heard of him, Nick Stephenson, is a UK best selling author who also coaches and he's funny.  He gives a lot of good information, some you probably have already heard, but new ideas too.   Anyway, I've been a member of his Your First 10,000 readers for a while.  You can find it here: Your First 10,000 Readers  I'm listening to one webinar he's done recently and reader magnets came up. After listening to what he had to say about reader magnets I decided to change mine from the free book (1st in my Time Walker Series) to a short story that shows what happened to make the Time Walkers be necessary, which I hope leads to the purchase of Book 1.  Using BookBrush I've created a cover for the short story to use for graphics and on the landing page.  I've added it below.  I'm still playing around with it.  I'd love thoughts from anyone on the look.  Is it too plain? Should I use more color?  Things like that.

Also, I finally finished the design of my Author Logo with the place I'm using to create same.  I'll be posting that information as soon as everything is finalized.

Help is always appreciated.

Thanks.
Sloan

Lisabet Sarai

Hi, Sloan,

I like simple cover designs, so I think the graphic elements work. You might want to put your name in more of a contrasting color. It tends to fade into the background. If you feel that you might want more color, you could use a brighter shade for both the title and the author name. For instance, a rust-red would work.

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
Can two people from different worlds share a future?

ASIAN ADVENTURES: EROTIC TALES FROM THE EAST
Bisexual, multicultural erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: http://bit.ly/AsianAdventures
FREE on Kindle Unlimited!

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Sloan

Thanks, Lisabet....

What about something like this?  Although I think I might need to move the evil sentence down a little to even out the spacing. The color of my name goes with my color scheme for my Author Logo.

Edited

Better, but you'd do well to pick a color theme and stick with it. Rust red for the title, deep reddish brown for the name, perhaps the same rust red for the word evil. The shading on that part is better, but I think the font might be wrong. It's sharp and modern, but that doesn't go with the image of an old-fashioned clock. A sans serif font might work better. You can find tons of them here at no cost. https://dafont.com One of my favorites is Caviar Dreams. It works best if you have a plain background like your cover. Anything with a pattern can make it too thin to work well. Another is Steelfish. For your cover, I'd suggest making the word "the" small, and the word "Creator" much larger. Stretch it to fit almost the width of your cover, and let "the" sit right above it either centered or flush left.

Also, your book seems to be about someone/something evil, so bright colors are misleading. Tone down your colors a bit.

But what is your genre? By the image, I'd say it's historical (the type of clock), or a time travel possibly.

Join Kayelle's Keepers www.facebook.com/groups/KayellesKeepers

Sloan

Thanks, Kris and Kayelle.  I read your suggestions and went and read the BookBrush Blog about creating covers and then went to work again.

To answer your questions, Kayelle, This is a short story on how the villain in my Time Walker Series was created. His creation and what happens after is what creates the need for the Time Walkers.  So it's paranormal, definitely. My Time Walkers can walk through any era of time so it can be contemporary, historical, urban, futuristic...depending on what era the story is set in.  The Time Walkers are the children of the Sumerian Gods, some are Gods themselves.

If you look at my website the picture I'm using for this cover is the same one that I have on my website (which will be changing next week when I get my new logo).  My tagline is Love Spans All Time and the picture represents, basically, the sands of time as does my new logo.

I've been doing okay with graphics for my posts, but covers are still new to me.  :-)

As for the author name, I kept the same font as I originally had, and changed it back to white because that goes with every other cover for my books that have been released.  I did put a shadow behind it though to make it more distinctive. I played with different fonts to get effect.  I used a filter on the background to make it darker.  Here's my latest version.

Sloan

Lisabet Sarai

Hi, Sloan,

You've already received some excellent feedback. I like the latest title font better, but your author name looks really odd now, in the blocky, modern font.

I don't think you necessarily need to make your covers keep your default author name look and feel. You should adapt to the specific cover. At least, that's my thinking (and what I do...)

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
Can two people from different worlds share a future?

ASIAN ADVENTURES: EROTIC TALES FROM THE EAST
Bisexual, multicultural erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: http://bit.ly/AsianAdventures
FREE on Kindle Unlimited!

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Sloan

Thanks, Lisabet.  I'm going to keep working on it.  I'm going to be working on the newsletter today too.  I want to do my cover reveal and I haven't sent out a newsletter since December.  I've been reading and watching webinars to learn more.  Right now I'm off to the grocery store and then I have to clean house.....Ugh!  After that, if I have any energy left, I will be working on this stuff again.......LOL  I've gotten some great suggestions, and I appreciate it.

I should be getting my new author logo stuff possibly tomorrow.  The place that I'm working with is in Saudia Arabia so their hours/days are different. 😊  If not tomorrow, then next week definitely.  I'm really excited to show everyone and get things changed on the website.  This place was wonderful and they actually captured the vision I had in my head about the design, which is really cool.  For any of those out there who don't have a logo yet and are considering getting one, I wanted to tell you more about this place because they are awesome and reasonable.

Thanks bunches,

Sloan McBride
Author of Paranormal and Suspense Romance

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 7:41 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

Okay, I worked on it a little bit today.  Here's my latest version of the cover.  I kind of like this one.....LOL

Kris Bock

I'll offer a reader experience. I've picked up several free reader magnets recently.

#1: I enjoyed the story, but primarily for the unusual setting. The author's further books in that series took place a decade later with a different setting that interested me less.

#2: I read two short chapters, and skimmed two more, with people talking about how bored they were. I gave up before I got to the mystery in what was supposed to be a cozy mystery.

#3: I enjoyed the story enough to finish it, but it wasn't anything special, and I didn't believe in the romance.

In all these cases, I'm going to unsubscribe from the author's newsletter, because I'm not interested in seeing more of their work. Is that fair? Maybe their full-length novels are better! Doesn't matter if it's fair or not. It's reality.

So the lessons, as far as I'm concerned:

Don't skimp on quality in your reader magnet just because it's free. It is your audition, your job interview, so it must be at least as good as anything you write. Readers will assume it is.

If your reader magnet is shorter than the work you usually do, make sure you can tell a complete and satisfying story in that time. For my sweet romance reader magnet, I chose a story about old lovers reuniting, because I didn't have to spend as much time showing them getting to know each other. They simply had to rekindle the old bond and work through the issues keeping them apart. If you can't tell a full and satisfying story in your genre, you might be better off offering sample chapters or something else, although my guess is these are less appealing to readers.

Ideally you might want to keep your story in the same world and keep as many elements as possible similar. Don't lure people in with a jewel heist caper if the rest of your series involves mysteries set around a cupcake bakery, and don't set your reader magnet in New Orleans during Mardi Gras if your novels take place in the Florida Keys off-season.

Finally, people who get your freebie and then unsubscribe aren't "freeloaders." They don't owe you anything. You offer the reader magnet so they can try your work. If they like it enough, maybe they'll buy something. They don't need to stay newsletter subscribers to do that. Even if somebody keeps signing up to get new freebies and then unsubscribing, all it means is they don't want to receive your newsletter. That's not a moral failing. They could decide to follow you on Amazon or BookBub instead. They might have bought everything you've published already. They might be so broke this is the only way they can read anything. In short, let it go.

This doesn't exactly answer Rue's question about which is better, a full book or a prequel, but I hope it gives some insight. A prequel might be great if it's set in the same world, with the same characters, and tells a story that gives a sense of the action to come. Just make sure it's satisfying in and of itself.

Get The Furrever Friends Sweet Romance series on Amazon, free with KU.
New! Felony Melanie and the Big Smashup: A Sweet Home Alabama romantic comedy novel. Visit the Amazon series page for Felony Melanie.
Writing for children as Chris Eboch