Topics

question about comment on my blog

Sierra Brave

Hi Everyone,

I finally got my comments up and running on my blog, and the spam begins. I already have someone accusing me of using a picture that belongs to them. I just posted the media kit I had been sent. I would write it off as spam but they but a second comment on the same page. Anyone else get anything like this:

Please visit the web pages we comply with, such as this a single, because it represents our picks in the web. Marlane Robb Dahle

Thanks!

--
Sierra Brave,
Racy Romance For Blushing Readers

Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...>

A Google of their name shows lots more spam comments across blogs. I'm guessing it's just a new spam tactic to try and get the blog owner to react to it. I'd ignore it.

Sierra Brave

Thanks!

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 5:26 PM Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...> wrote:
A Google of their name shows lots more spam comments across blogs. I'm guessing it's just a new spam tactic to try and get the blog owner to react to it. I'd ignore it.

Seelie Kay

I would refer them to the author, who bears responsibility for the contents of the media kit, not you. Then if you can, block them. You might also set your blog so any comments require your approval before they can be published. BTW, I only get weed farmers posting spam on my blog! :)

Seelie

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:26 PM Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...> wrote:
A Google of their name shows lots more spam comments across blogs. I'm guessing it's just a new spam tactic to try and get the blog owner to react to it. I'd ignore it.

--
Seelie Kay
"Sizzling stories about lawyers in love, with a dash of kink!"
Follow Seelie on Facebook and Twitter!

Fiona McGier

The problem I've been having is one that I've gotten notice from other author's blogs that I've commented on--when I clicked the "let me know of any comments" part. But now it's happening to my website.

Blogs on my website from many years ago, are suddenly getting comments. And they're advertising for some obscure Chinese company or other.  I have to click on the email notice  to see the date the blog has, then go into weebly and pull up that old blog from so long ago. That's the only way I can delete the comments. Annoying, yes. Some people obviously have way too much time on their hands. And if they think they'll be getting massive amounts of views on my old posts, guess again, dude! LOL.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:26 PM Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...> wrote:
A Google of their name shows lots more spam comments across blogs. I'm guessing it's just a new spam tactic to try and get the blog owner to react to it. I'd ignore it.

--
Fiona

Blog and Website: http://www.fionamcgier.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fionamcgier--Download 1st 20% of my books free!
Free Download: Prescription For Love: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18367

Sierra Brave

Thanks, the comments have to be approved so they didn't show up on my site but it showed up for me to approve. ---Sierra

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 5:34 PM Seelie Kay <seeliekay@...> wrote:
I would refer them to the author, who bears responsibility for the contents of the media kit, not you. Then if you can, block them. You might also set your blog so any comments require your approval before they can be published. BTW, I only get weed farmers posting spam on my blog! :)

Seelie

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:26 PM Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...> wrote:
A Google of their name shows lots more spam comments across blogs. I'm guessing it's just a new spam tactic to try and get the blog owner to react to it. I'd ignore it.

--
Seelie Kay
"Sizzling stories about lawyers in love, with a dash of kink!"
Follow Seelie on Facebook and Twitter!

Barbara White Daille

Fiona (and all) - I've seen that, too, where blogs I've subscribed to will get random spammy comments on old posts.

My WordPress blog lets you turn off comments to posts.  The option's under Settings > Discussions > Other comment settings > Automatically close comments on articles older than ____ days.  (You choose the number.)  I've never tried it, but It *looks* like it can be set retroactively.

Hopefully, weebly has something similar.

HTH.

Quoting Fiona McGier <fiona.mcgier@...>:

The problem I've been having is one that I've gotten notice from other author's blogs that I've commented on--when I clicked the "let me know of any comments" part. But now it's happening to my website.

Blogs on my website from many years ago, are suddenly getting comments. And they're advertising for some obscure Chinese company or other.  I have to click on the email notice  to see the date the blog has, then go into weebly and pull up that old blog from so long ago. That's the only way I can delete the comments. Annoying, yes. Some people obviously have way too much time on their hands. And if they think they'll be getting massive amounts of views on my old posts, guess again, dude! LOL.

Monica Stoner

I use Wordpress, which blocks all those silly replies and lets me delete en masse

Monica Stoner

On Thursday, November 12, 2020, Barbara White Daille <barbara@...> wrote:

[...]

You will get those - it's life on the internet. Here's one thing to do. Set up your comments so they are closed after 3 or 4 days. That way you have to go in and approve them. After that amount of time, it's usually spam. And you won't have to constantly monitor your old posts.
If you don't have it, get Akismet. It has a free version. I've used it for about 15 years. It works great.
Also look at Jetpack (for Wordpress), which has an anti-spam feature.

M. S. Spencer

"obscure Chinese company" sounds a lot like a hack. Can you delete the old blog? Change your password?

--

M. S. Spencer Tale Spinner

Latest Release: Orion's Foot: Myth, Mystery, & Romance in the Amazon

Blog  Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn

--

M. S. Spencer Tale Spinner

Latest Release: Orion’s Foot: Myth Mystery & Romance in the Amazon

Blog  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Pinterest  Linked In

Julie Lence

I have had the same problem with Cowboy Kisses, people leaving a comment on blogs from long ago. Some are just selling something and others leave a sentence that has a wee bit of something to do with the blog and then their product. For me it's easy to remove them. I use Blogger and comments to all the authors' blogs come to me so I can see and easily delete when needed. And you're right--some people just have waaaay too much free time.
Julie

Judy Reynolds

Julie I used to know how to delete comments on Blogger, but with the changes to Blogger I couldn't figure it out when I had a weird comment on an old blog. How do you do it?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 10:44 AM Julie Lence via groups.io <bettysbassboat=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have had the same problem with Cowboy Kisses, people leaving a comment on blogs from long ago. Some are just selling something and others leave a sentence that has a wee bit of something to do with the blog and then their product. For me it's easy to remove them. I use Blogger and comments to all the authors' blogs come to me so I can see and easily delete when needed. And you're right--some people just have waaaay too much free time.
Julie
_._,_._,_

--
Judy Reynolds
w/a Jana Richards

--
Jana Richards
Laugh. Cry. Love. Feel the Romance.
Website http://www.janarichards.com
Newsletter  http://janarichards.com/contact.html#newsletter
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/JanaRichardsAuthor
Amazon Author Page http://www.amazon.com/author/janarichards

Judy, go to the dashboard and click Comments on the left. The comments show up on the right. Each one has a trashcan icon on the far side. There's also an X which removes content, and an ! sign to mark it as spam. Once you have spam cited, a note for it pops up under comments on the left.