Topics

Need advice about newsletters #HelpNeeded

Seelie Kay

Hi!

For a very long time, I have avoided creating a newsletter because I am still doing paid work and simply don't have the time. However, with the pandemic, things have slowed down so I am considering launching one. If you produce a newsletter, I would appreciate your input on the following:

1.  How often do you publish your newsletter? Is it scheduled (monthly, quarterly, etc,), random, or around book releases?
2.  What is the length of your newsletter (pages/words)?
3.  How much time do you devote per month to your newsletter? Do you use some sort of service or a PA to produce it?
4.  What do you put into your newsletter?  (Book information? Personal stuff?)
5.  How do you publish your newsletter? Do you have a service or do you publish it independently?
6.  Have you experienced an increase in sales by producing a newsletter? How have you established that? (I am looking for demonstrated ROI.)
7.  How have you developed your mailing list?
8.  How do you know people are reading your newsletter?
9.  What are the out-of-pocket expenses involved in a newsletter?
10  What are the positives and/or negatives of producing a newsletter? Is it worth it?

Please feel free to respond here or privately to seeliekay@....

Thanks!

Seelie

To me, it's vital to have a newsletter. It's the #1 way authors can keep in touch with their readers. These are people whose names you know who are all interested in knowing more about you and your books. There's no other place to get that. Amazon won't share names. You won't know demographics about them. You won't get one-on-one chats with people on Barnes & Noble. There's just nothing else like a newsletter.
The best advice I can give you is go watch a few videos by David Gaughran. He's the best there is and he won't try to upsell you on some pricey system or books. https://courses.davidgaughran.com/courses/starting-from-zero I can't think of anyplace better to get advice. He has revolutionized newsletters for me.
And go read Newsletter Ninja by Tammi Labrecque. She's the champion at this stuff.
I started with once a month but now send 2x a month. I use Mailerlite. I use their templates and each newsletter takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to do tops. That link has a referral in it which you don't have to use. There's a free version, which I recommend you start with.
Then to get readers, join StoryOrigin (free) and use a reader magnet. Something short that is in your world and will introduce people to your style. You can do newsletter swaps even if you are a newbie with zero people, and join group promos to sell books, get reviews, or tell people about your KU titles. There are other places that charge money, but start there and get your feet wet.
Put aside a little time each day to study how all this is done, and don't get discouraged if it seems complicated. It's one step at a time. If you can write books, this is a piece of cake. And hey... it's easier than being a lawyer. ;)
Good luck! And email me if you have questions.

Victoria Jayne

I highly recommend reading newsletter ninja, it's a quick everything guide to newsletters

Mine are short for the most part.

I send mine out weekly on Tuesdays.

The first Tuesday of the month I send one out that is like an update of me and any news specific to my writing. So announcements giveaways, sample chapter links etc.

The other three weeks are newsletter swaps and campaigns from bookfunnel and story origin.

Every newsletter I send has a question in it where I ask my subscribers to respond to me and if they do I go back and forth with them.

I always include my social media links
I always include whitelisting information as well

I suggest signing up for your favorite authors' newsletters to see what they're  doing.

I honestly don't spend a lot of time a week setting this up. Maybe half an hour a week spread out depending on how the sign ups for swaps cluster

Thank you,

Victoria Jayne

https://www.authorvictoriajayne.com