Topics

Has anyone here heard of Zelle Pay?

Tina Donahue

I just got an email in my yahoo account with the subject line: "New Pending Payment Via Zelle Pay".

I don't have a Zelle account. I don't own a cellphone so they can't call me via that or text me.

Those publishers who don't pay me via direct deposit, send my royalties to PayPal. That's why this seems so suspicious.

Is this a scam? I don't want to open the email because I've heard if you do that, scammers can access your email account. Another headache I don't need.

Any info you guys have on this is welcome.

Thanks!

--
Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

--
Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

PASSIONATE PURSUIT - “The story is brimming with risqué retorts and searing sex scenes.” Publishers Weekly
WICKED WHISPERS - 5 STAR REVIEWS
MUZZLING THE BEAST - 5 STAR REVIEWS
DEEP WITHIN ME (4 STARS - ROMANTIC TIMES)
DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)

Patty Gordon

I’ve used Zelle through my bank. Chase Bank will pay anyone else who has an account through them as long as they have a phone number on file for the payee. It’s legit.

Patty Gordon/Patricia Kiyono

On Feb 20, 2021, at 12:09 PM, Tina Donahue <tinadonahuebooks@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Patty.

I know Zelle is legit. I'm wondering if the email is or if it's phishing.

I read on the net that Zelle requires a cellphone. Since I don't have one and since I never signed up for Zelle, I can't imagine why they'd be sending me anything.

Added to that - every single one of my publishers either pays me through direct deposit or through PayPay. None have sent me an email saying they were switching to Zelle. I doubt they would switch since DD and PayPal have worked so well.

That's why this email sounds like phishing to me.

There are tons of horror stories on the net about people being scammed into using Zele and having their accounts drained.

Just this past week, I've been getting emails with Chinese headers in my yahoo email, which I also don't open.

Tina

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 9:38 AM Patty Gordon <chocoaddict@...> wrote:
[...]

Charlotte O'Shay

You need a Chase bank account.

CHARLOTTE O’SHAY
Happily Ever After in the City of Dreams

On Feb 20, 2021, at 12:38 PM, Patty Gordon <chocoaddict@...> wrote:

[...]

Sierra Brave

Sounds sus. Try googling the sender's email address and see what comes up. Maybe their is a phone number.

Good luck!

Love,
---Sierra xoxo

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 1:02 PM Tina Donahue <tinadonahuebooks@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Sierra - I'll try that.

It sounds suspicious to me too.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:09 AM Sierra Brave <sierrapaxtonbrave@...> wrote:
[...]

Carolyn Rowland

My bank account is not at Chase but my bank accepts these payments. The notices always tell me who the payment is from (ie, person's name or company) so I can check to make sure it is real before I click on anything. If this doesn't tell you who its from, I'd be very suspicious of it and would not click on it. I also have never had to use a cellphone for it - I always use my laptop/desktop for emails. I use it with family members to move money when we need to but I dont know of any vendor who has every paid me this way. Carolyn

C.A. Rowland
www.carowland.com

On Saturday, February 20, 2021, 01:10:07 PM EST, Sierra Brave <sierrapaxtonbrave@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Carolyn.

I've never had a vendor pay me through Zelle either, which makes me suspicious.

I've only used DD or PayPal with publishers. If I'm paying for cover art or editing, I use PayPal, nothing else. Again, this whole thing sounds weird to me.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:16 AM Carolyn Rowland <crowland@...> wrote:
[...]

Shari Elder

Hi Everyone,

I'm a big Zelle user so I thought I'd jump in here.  I think are two issues. One, is Zelle reliable? Two is the email you got legit?

Zelle as a tool for money transfer is very reliable. It was created by banks to enable individuals to transfer money to each other bank to bank. All the big banks and increasingly smaller banks now have a zelle option. My bank introduced it to me. If you do on-line banking (computer or app), just look in the transfer section and you are likely to see zelle as a transfer option.  A zelle transfer occurs immediately, and you can use either your cell phone or an email for the transfer. It is actually better than paypal in that there's no charge to it and the transfer is immediate.  For the moment, its a free service.

While the original intent was for personal use, it has been moving into business use, particularly for single person business. For example,  I use it to pay the guy who takes care of my lawn.  When you send money, it sends you and the recipient a message that the money was transferred.

Knowing zelle, I would say the email is suspicion. Its good practice to ask people if they use, or are willing to use, zelle, before using it with them. When you've both agreed to use it, I usually send a test of maybe $5.00 to make sure it works. If you don't know where the money coming from and from whom, then don't trust that email.

Hope this is helpful.

Shari

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 1:31 PM Tina Donahue <tinadonahuebooks@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Shari - that was very helpful.

My guess is the Zelle email is the new phishing thing that will screw people over.

Since I don't do online banking at all (a friend of mine got wiped out that way) and I do everything in person at the bank, there is no way the email could be legit.

Call me old-fashioned, but by taking the extra step of going in person (the bank hates me I know because they have to pay tellers) nothing happens to my account. :)

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:54 AM Shari Elder <sharielderbooks@...> wrote:
[...]

Seelie Kay

I have received deposits via Zelle.  It's one of the many pay apps out there. It's legit, but your message may not be.

Seelie Kay

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Tina Donahue <tinadonahuebooks@...> wrote:
[...]

I can use Zelle through my bank, Fifth Third. It's a national program similar to Paypal but with banks themselves.

Join Kayelle's Keepers www.facebook.com/groups/KayellesKeepers

Tina Donahue

Thanks, Seelie. :)

Tina

--
Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

PASSIONATE PURSUIT - “The story is brimming with risqué retorts and searing sex scenes.” Publishers Weekly
WICKED WHISPERS - 5 STAR REVIEWS
MUZZLING THE BEAST - 5 STAR REVIEWS
DEEP WITHIN ME (4 STARS - ROMANTIC TIMES)
DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)

Tina Donahue

Thanks, Kayelle.

My main question is how could Zelle sign me up for anything without me knowing or being asked?

I know my bank wouldn't, because if they did, I'd raise holy hell. That would be like them signing me up for PayPal without my knowledge.

Tina

--
Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

PASSIONATE PURSUIT - “The story is brimming with risqué retorts and searing sex scenes.” Publishers Weekly
WICKED WHISPERS - 5 STAR REVIEWS
MUZZLING THE BEAST - 5 STAR REVIEWS
DEEP WITHIN ME (4 STARS - ROMANTIC TIMES)
DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (HOLT MEDALLION AWARD OF MERIT)

Liese Sherwood-Fabre

Ok, I'm a little late to this discussion, but thought I'd share the following:

Zelle's Website is www.zellepay.com
So, officially, I *think* Zelle and Zelle Pay are equivalent.

I also went to the Zelle website (by googling Zelle and not by entering zellepay.com--just in case).
Here is an information number you can call (10-10 everyday) and see what they might tell you about the origin/legitimacy of the payment: 1-844-428-8542.

If the amount isn't much, you might let it be remitted and then maybe the person will contact you about it...

Best of luck!
Liese

Tina Donahue

Thanks, Liese! Good info.