Creating a website

PIa Manning

This might be a dumb question but...if you have a Namecheap domain, and hosting provided by SiteGround, and have a blog on Wordpress, is it possible to convert the blog to a website. Or do I need to delete the blog and start again?

Thanks!

Pia Manning

Rue Allyn

Pia, ‘converting’ is not necessary. Go to your site’s dashboard, find your theme and learn how to add ‘pages’ to your WP site. Once you’ve added and published pages, you have a website. Lots of us create our sites in WP.

Cheers,

Rue A.

PS contact me off list if you’d like to know a little more about creating your own website rather than hiring someone to do it. <rue@...>

From: main@marketingforromancewriters.groups.io <main@marketingforromancewriters.groups.io> On Behalf Of PIa Manning via groups.io
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 2:21 PM
To: main@marketingforromancewriters.groups.io
Subject: [mfrwio] Creating a website

This might be a dumb question but...if you have a Namecheap domain, and hosting provided by SiteGround, and have a blog on Wordpress, is it possible to convert the blog to a website. Or do I need to delete the blog and start again?

Thanks!

Pia Manning

Angelica

No! Don’t delete the blog! I know static front pages are all the rage but they do not help you with your blog rankings, because they don’t change content often. The blog helps you more. 

There is nothing at all wrong with using a blog as your website. 

But if you have your heart set on a static front page go find a Wordpress template that you like and install it. Voila, brand new looking website. Here Wordpress is your friend as you’ll keep your blog with all its content on a separate page.

Happy blogging! 

(PS, I’ve been blogging on Wordpress since 2008. You can call me on old lady blogger. 😆)

On May 14, 2021, at 5:17 PM, Rue Allyn <rue@...> wrote:

Pia, ‘converting’ is not necessary. Go to your site’s dashboard, find your theme and learn how to add ‘pages’ to your WP site. Once you’ve added and published pages, you have a website. Lots of us create our sites in WP.

Cheers,

Rue A.

PS contact me off list if you’d like to know a little more about creating your own website rather than hiring someone to do it. <rue@...>

From: main@marketingforromancewriters.groups.io <main@marketingforromancewriters.groups.io> On Behalf Of PIa Manning via groups.io

Thanks!

Pia Manning

Rebecca

You can import your wordpress.com blog to your new wordpress website fairly easily. I think it's in the tools menu. Not sure because it's been a while since I imported my blog, which was blogger not wordpress, but still easy.

Rebecca

Wordpress is very easy! I have a theme that lets me have a static front page (never changing) but links the blog posts into it, so it's updated as often as I blog (2-4x week). I also built pages and linked them in the landing page menu. You can click my website link in my signature to take a look.

If you find yourself needing expert help, I use Dee at Personalized Marketing Inc. She's a member of MFRW, and has handled the tech aspects of multiple websites for me for about 5 years. I take care of content, but she provides the framework and keeps it running. She designed my theme specifically to fit me. And no, she isn't expensive. Tell her I sent you and you'll get a nice discount. :)
--

Kayelle Allen
Founder, Marketing for Romance Writers
www.kayelleallen.com Share your book www.rlfblog.com
Join Kayelle's Keepers www.facebook.com/groups/KayellesKeepers

Mary Caelsto

I concur with everyone else. I've used WordPress almost since it's inception, and really enjoy working with it. I also help my clients with website work (they tell me what they want, I make it happen). I'm a big believer in owning your own platform and with self-hosted wordpress, you do. You can take your site anywhere and it's under your control. With Wix, Squarespace and Weebly you're tied to their platform AND their terms of service (which are not friendly to erotic romance/adult themes in many cases). If those companies go under, you're out of luck. Where with self-hosted wordpress, as long as you do regular backups, if you want to change hosts for whatever reason, it's a pretty seamless process.

Mary

Author of women's fiction & fantasy as Mary Kit Caelsto 
Are you a Muse Star? Join me for free stories + extras
Check it out at www.marykitcaelsto.com

Owner/Founder of Epona Author Solutions. Helping authors who just want to run free with technical, administrative, and coaching assistance (including editing & book formatting).
Get your free gift at EponaAuthorSolutions.com 

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 7:50 AM Kayelle Allen <sempervians@...> wrote:
Wordpress is very easy! I have a theme that lets me have a static front page (never changing) but links the blog posts into it, so it's updated as often as I blog (2-4x week). I also built pages and linked them in the landing page menu. You can click my website link in my signature to take a look.

If you find yourself needing expert help, I use Dee at Personalized Marketing Inc. She's a member of MFRW, and has handled the tech aspects of multiple websites for me for about 5 years. I take care of content, but she provides the framework and keeps it running. She designed my theme specifically to fit me. And no, she isn't expensive. Tell her I sent you and you'll get a nice discount. :)
--

Kayelle Allen

Sloan

Ugh!  You know I tried for a couple of years to use WP but could never get it.  When I went to Wix everything was so much easier and I was able to create my own website, which I never thought I could do.  😏  I even took a workshop and read up about WP, but just couldn't ever get it to work for me.  Cuedos to those of you who use it.  I think Wix just works better for me because it's like Canva in a way and I understood that dynamic.....LOL

Sloan McBride         
Author of Paranormal and Suspense Romance

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 4:17 PM Rue Allyn <rue@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Rue A.

Thanks!

Pia Manning

PIa Manning

A few folks have purchased domains, but use WP for hosting? Have I read that correctly? When I read through David Gaughran's material he suggested SiteGround. Does anyone have experience with them? Or have issues with someone wanting to comment, but because they don't have a WP account they can't comment? 

I've done landing pages on Wix and WP-have to admit to having more difficulty with WP than Wix on those. 

Thank you for all of your comments-much appreciated

Pia Manning

Mary Caelsto

I host author websites at Epona Author Solutions. $10/mo, I handle the SSL cert, AND I'm there for support. It's WordPress self-hosted.

Otherwise, I highly recommend NameCheap. Siteground has very mixed reviews. Some are good and some are very bad. I DO NOT recommend GoDaddy.

Mary

Owner/Founder of Epona Author Solutions. Helping authors who just want to run free with technical, administrative, and coaching assistance (including editing & book formatting).

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 2:23 PM PIa Manning via groups.io <pia.manning=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A few folks have purchased domains, but use WP for hosting? Have I read that correctly? When I read through David Gaughran's material he suggested SiteGround. Does anyone have experience with them? Or have issues with someone wanting to comment, but because they don't have a WP account they can't comment? 

I've done landing pages on Wix and WP-have to admit to having more difficulty with WP than Wix on those. 

Thank you for all of your comments-much appreciated

Pia Manning

Victoria Jayne

I'm a big fan of wix myself.

I use them. 

They also have Ascend linked with them. So you can send 3 newsletters a month out for free. 

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of THE PROPHECY TRILOGY

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of The Prophecy Trilogy

Imogene Nix

I’ve not long returned from Weebly where I had a Pro account. When I sat down to look at the economics of it, it was costing me thousands a year. I now hosting accounts with HostGator — one hosts my main site (and costs $143 p/a) and a second at $107 per annum and is my backup. If my site goes down, I can go into my domain and switch over (or redirect) and I built my Wordpress myself with a couple of useful plugins. (I’m actually blogging about the plugins this month!) https://www.imogenenix.net/the-blog/ 

I’ve used both Wix and Weebly and if they do it for you, then it’s worthwhile, but for my money I’m saving about $1k per annum by going back and with my background in building sites from the bottom up, it just makes sense to do it this way.

Kind Regards
Imogene Nix
Sexy Sassy Romance That’s Out Of This World

Fly with me on www.twitter.com/ImogeneNix/
Cruise with me on www.facebook.com/ImogeneNixauthor/ 
or why not follow me on BookBub?
www.bookbub.com/authors/imogene-nix

Of course you can also visit my website http://www.imogenenix.net 

On 18 May 2021, at 6:25 am, Victoria Jayne <AuthorVictoriaJayne@...> wrote:

I'm a big fan of wix myself.

I use them. 

They also have Ascend linked with them. So you can send 3 newsletters a month out for free. 

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of THE PROPHECY TRILOGY

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of The Prophecy Trilogy

Wix and Weebly may be easier up front. But there is no way to move your material if you decide to get a real website. There is no export function whatsoever. If you decide in a couple years that you want a real, fully-functional website, you will have to manually go into every blog post and every page and copy the code to put in the new site, or leave it behind and start over from scratch. Wix and Weebly are both the same way. They make it easy to start, but once they have you, it is very hard to leave. My web designer charges an extra fee if your site is on one of those, because they are so labor intensive to recreate. Other programs have an export function (Blogger/Wordpress). You can download with one click and upload the same way. Bingo/bongo. Done. The others, count on several days to complete.

I do not recommend either of those if you are serious about having a website.

I am hosted on Siteground and they are great, but way too expensive. If they were cheaper I'd never leave. I buy my domains through Google. It's about $12 a year for the domain name. I don't use Namecheap for anything -- I hosted with them and they drove me absolutely bananas with issues, and their tech help was the worst thing I've ever come across. If you're buying a domain name from them and that's all, maybe. But I wouldn't go with them, even though David Gaughran recommends them for that. I DO NOT recommend hosting with them. They are sorry and live up to the name "cheap." I've used GoDaddy too but their help desk has gone downhill. They are not trustworthy and have lost the confidence of a lot of their clients.

I'm moving to DreamHost this fall when my contract is up. https://www.dreamhost.com/ they have a special right now ($2.95 month for hosting).

If you need advice on website stuff, Dee from Personalized Marketing or Mary Caelsto are both on this group and are good at what they do. 
--

Kayelle Allen

Imogene Nix

Yes Kayelle

It took me weeks to copy and paste every document, every blog I wanted to keep. I still have the free site with weebly just so I can go back and pick up any blog entries I may have missed that were important, but while I’m now back on Wordpress (I started out that way with my first author site) I’ve returned simply because of cost. If you want a simple interface with wordpress I do heartily recommend Elementor (the basic plug in is free and simple for beginners to learn.)

Kind Regards
Imogene Nix
Sexy Sassy Romance That’s Out Of This World

Fly with me on www.twitter.com/ImogeneNix/
Cruise with me on www.facebook.com/ImogeneNixauthor/ 
or why not follow me on BookBub?
www.bookbub.com/authors/imogene-nix

Of course you can also visit my website http://www.imogenenix.net 

On 18 May 2021, at 9:19 am, Kayelle Allen <sempervians@...> wrote:

Wix and Weebly may be easier up front. But there is no way to move your material if you decide to get a real website. There is no export function whatsoever. If you decide in a couple years that you want a real, fully-functional website, you will have to manually go into every blog post and every page and copy the code to put in the new site, or leave it behind and start over from scratch. Wix and Weebly are both the same way. They make it easy to start, but once they have you, it is very hard to leave. My web designer charges an extra fee if your site is on one of those, because they are so labor intensive to recreate. Other programs have an export function (Blogger/Wordpress). You can download with one click and upload the same way. Bingo/bongo. Done. The others, count on several days to complete.

I am hosted on Siteground and they are great, but way too expensive. If they were cheaper I'd never leave. I buy my domains through Google. It's about $12 a year for the domain name. I don't use Namecheap for anything -- I hosted with them and they drove me absolutely bananas with issues, and their tech help was the worst thing I've ever come across. If you're buying a domain name from them and that's all, maybe. But I wouldn't go with them, even though David Gaughran recommends them for that. I DO NOT recommend hosting with them. They are sorry and live up to the name "cheap." I've used GoDaddy too but their help desk has gone downhill. They are not trustworthy and have lost the confidence of a lot of their clients.

I'm moving to DreamHost this fall when my contract is up. https://www.dreamhost.com/ they have a special right now ($2.95 month for hosting).

If you need advice on website stuff, Dee from Personalized Marketing or Mary Caelsto are both on this group and are good at what they do. 
--

Kayelle Allen

Mary Caelsto

Thanks Kayelle for the recommendation. I appreciate it.

The other thing I'll add is that Wix/Weebly have terms of service that prohibit adult material. Sure, they'll probably never find erotic romance books, but you never know and if someone reports your site, you could lose it for terms violations.

Mary

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 6:19 PM Kayelle Allen <sempervians@...> wrote:

--

Kayelle Allen