Topics

Blogging

Daryl Devore

Someone wondered if anyone is blogging 2-3 days a week. At first I wasn't going to respond because I felt like I'm some sort of weirdo for doing so. I've seen the internet stuff about blogs are dead etc. But I know I've had sales because a reader has had access to my blog. Commenters have said - I  just bought this book.

My views are not massive but are constant and slip if I miss a day or 2 of not blogging. I believe it is the consistency of my blogging that keeps my views up. So, I will continue to do this. It is said a writer needs a website and that's what this is for me. My main other media are Triberr and Twitter.

I blog approx 7 days a week. Sometimes I don't happen to have anything - no worries.

I belong to group where we share each other's books - once a week
I work with a blog tour company and fill in one space a week with a book from that group.
I do Book Hooks on Wed.
I do the Steam hop - 2nd Tues of the month.
On Sun, Weekend Writing Warriors.

I do a yoga post every other week.
And a space post in between the yoga posts.

I post monthly flashettes - mini stories based on prompts.
I try once a month to post an piece about writing from my POV - like why I'm a panster. Or possibly gripe about a writing related issue.

I spotlight my author friends when they need a spot.
I highlight my books whenever I choose.

Is this a lot of work - yes and no. The blog tour group provides an html - so that's cut and paste. The book sharing group has a page with everyone's media pkg - download, cut and paste.
The blog hops - Steam - Book Hooks and Weekend Writing Warriors - once you have a template sorted out - it is basically the same sort of post but with different excerpts each week. (On each of those days, that's what takes the most time - going to fellow hoppers posts - reading - commenting and tweeting them.)

My Flashette - I belong to a critique group where I post prompts to inspire a writing piece. If I am inspired - I post it there and on my blog - next flashette post - the 18th
My writing view point usually depends on if a tweet irks me and I respond with a post. Haven't been irked lately.

My author friends come from all sort of places - MFRW - people in a Canadian writers group I belong to (there is a debut author there today from that group ) - people from my critique group etc  I actually had to cut down this number as I wasn't getting a chance to post my books. What it involves from me is cut and paste their media.

and lastly - my books. I have a weekly feature - My Books. My Blog. My Posts. This is one of the spots where I spotlight my work - besides the blog hops and being featured in the blog tours. I pick a book - pull out an excerpt - put up the cover and toss it out to the universe. (on a full week - my book could be posted in 5 places - book sharing group, Steam hop, Book Hooks, My Books My Blog My Post and WWW)

So - it does involve some time - I try to do it on Sunday while working through the list of Weekend Writing Warriors posts.

But it is all FREE promo. Hosting other authors brings new readers to my blog and that has the potential of them seeing a book they might want to read. Doing the blog tours and blog hops has created a network with other authors.

Do I have still have time to write - yes. And I have a life - although we are in lockdown right now.

Daryl Devoré
Sensual escapism where sexy men meet strong-willed women.

Cathy Brockman

Very interesting information. I use to blog a few times a week myself until this blah I got in and quit. I had a menu planning Monday a writerly Wednsday I participated in the MFRWfriday posts and on Sat and Sunday had guest posts. My blog isn’t big but I have a few that read consistently.

My issue now is I’m considering to take a break on writing and focus on some crafting. So should I shut down my blog or turn it into a mor personal craft one I could even host writer guest with thier hobbies? Shutting it down would save me some money  but if I ever want to start back up I’d be at scale one. Any suggestion.  Thanks Daryl. If I have not read this I had closing down on my schedule.
--

Seelie Kay

Wow! I am really impressed! I am so buried in work and rehab (relearning how to walk), that blogging once a week is tough!

Seelie

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:46 PM Daryl Devore via groups.io <daryl.devore=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Fiona McGier

I'd love to do a blog on your post about my hobbies! Crosswords, crocheting, sewing, baking. Pick one, or any of them!

But I do understand about the money angle. My 2 jobs had been supporting my promotions for the past 11 years. Now no money has been coming in since March. Family finances are tougher without my income--so none to spare.

Do what's best for you.

Mask up and stay safe!
Fiona

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:52 PM Cathy Brockman <cathybrockmanromance@...> wrote:
Very interesting information. I use to blog a few times a week myself until this blah I got in and quit. I had a menu planning Monday a writerly Wednsday I participated in the MFRWfriday posts and on Sat and Sunday had guest posts. My blog isn’t big but I have a few that read consistently.

My issue now is I’m considering to take a break on writing and focus on some crafting. So should I shut down my blog or turn it into a mor personal craft one I could even host writer guest with thier hobbies? Shutting it down would save me some money  but if I ever want to start back up I’d be at scale one. Any suggestion.  Thanks Daryl. If I have not read this I had closing down on my schedule.

Fiona

Blog and Website: http://www.fionamcgier.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fionamcgier--Download 1st 20% of my books free!
Free Download: Prescription For Love: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18367

Gayle

Cathy -- I think you should continue blogging, just change your focus as I did. You don't want to lose your readers and one day have to start completely over. If you're crafting, make it about that. Perhaps talk about writing as a craft now and then and what you like about the craft you're currently focusing on and another week what is about the writing craft you enjoy, and when you host other authors, have them answer that question as part of their guest post (I enjoy the craft of writing because ...)

Good luck, and thanks for hosting me on your blog in the past!

Blessings,

Gayle

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Cathy Brockman <cathybrockmanromance@...> wrote:
Very interesting information. I use to blog a few times a week myself until this blah I got in and quit. I had a menu planning Monday a writerly Wednsday I participated in the MFRWfriday posts and on Sat and Sunday had guest posts. My blog isn’t big but I have a few that read consistently.

My issue now is I’m considering to take a break on writing and focus on some crafting. So should I shut down my blog or turn it into a mor personal craft one I could even host writer guest with thier hobbies? Shutting it down would save me some money  but if I ever want to start back up I’d be at scale one. Any suggestion.  Thanks Daryl. If I have not read this I had closing down on my schedule.
--

Cathy Brockman

Thanks Fiona. Let me see what I can come up with and I may do a weekly author post featuring something else they do to show them as a person. Then of course post where books can be found or a latest release.
--

shadyl717@...

I blog every day but I have a set format for all the days. The hits on the blog vary from a few to hundreds, I've been doing this for a long time and have many followers and I know I've sold books and sometimes the authors who guest with me may have a sale or two from the comments their post recieve. Saturday is when I post all the ones for the week. I enjoy doing this and hopefully people will read and enjoy, Janet