Topics

Author Platforms

Janice Bennett

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Draft2Digital <support@m.draft2digital.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 2:06 PM
Subject: Author Platforms
To: Janice Bennett <4janicebennettbooks@...>

If you’ve been in self publishing for more than a few minutes, it’s likely you’ve heard the term "author platform." Maybe you already have a solid platform of your own—or maybe you’re trying to figure out exactly what it is or what it needs to be.

An author platform is your ability to sell books because of who you are and who you’re connected to.

Think in terms of audience: Your platform is all of the means you have at your disposal for reaching an audience with your work, and convincing them to make a purchase.

The most important rule is this: Go where your customers are.

To that end, your author platform can include:

·    Your mailing list—the database of readers you should be gathering as you go, so you can contact them any time you like.

·    Your social media presence—not generally a great place to ‘sell,’ but a fantastic place to stay in touch with readers and let them know what you’re up to.

·    Speaking engagements—any time you’re in front of an audience to talk about your work, it’s a great opportunity to build or expand your platform.

·    Book signings—if people are showing up to have you sign a book, then you’ve already gotten a great start on your platform!

·    Interviews—from podcasts to blogs to radio and television, any opportunity to talk about your work is a chance to expand your platform.

You may do all or none of the above, but the important thing to keep in mind about building and growing an author platform is the end goal: You want to create a network that allows you to sell more books to more readers, easier and faster.

For authors, the customer is the reader. And most readers spend a lot of time reading, so one of the most convenient ways to reach them is right from your books.

CALLS TO ACTION

A call to action, or CTA, is you asking your reader to do something for you. In the western world we sometimes feel a little weird about this, but we shouldn’t. Keep in mind that readers are always looking for the next book to read, and so it’s only right for you to suggest that book!

Draft2Digital has built in a way to include a CTA in the back of your book, which we call a Teaser. If you have more than one book published through D2D, we can automatically add a teaser to the end of your new book, pushing readers to a previous work. It’s a great way to lead readers from book to book in a series!

LET READERS KNOW WHEN YOU'RE PUBLISHING

Draft2Digital may not be able to help you directly with building your mailing list or with booking speaking engagements or interviews, but we do have one tool that can help you to build your author platform: New Release Notifications.

This is another feature that can be added automatically once you’ve uploaded your book’s contents, and it encourages readers to sign up for email notifications any time you release a new book! That will really help keep the momentum going.

SEND READERS TO ALL THE RIGHT PLACES

A final platform-building tool is our Universal Book Links. Every time you upload a book to Draft2Digital, we automatically generate a UBL that helps readers find your book on any storefront they prefer!

You can manage your UBLs from the dashboard at books2read.com, where you can customize the URL, add affiliate links for various online stores, track how many clicks you’re getting, and add new stores as they come online.

UBLs are a great platform-building resource, because you can use just one link to send every reader to anyplace your book appears online. No confusing or ugly link lists on your website, and you can use just one link in emails, social media posts, and even print advertising.

THE POINT IS MAKING YOURSELF EASY TO FIND

Author platforms really boil down to one thing: Making yourself ‘discoverable’ to readers. And since readers are the customers of your work, what could be more important?

It’s worth taking the time to examine all your resources and options, and find as many ways to reach out to your readers as you can possibly determine.

We love that we are able to help with that. And we hope you get a lot of use out of the tools and resources D2D has built (and continues to create!).

NEXT UP: MARKETING TIPS & TRICKS

We’re going to talk about ways to get your work in front of more readers, so you definitely will want to stick around for our next email!

The Draft2Digital Team

Find us on social media

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM FUTURE DRAFT2DIGITAL EMAILS OF THIS TYPE PLEASE CLICK HERE

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALL FUTURE DRAFT2DIGITAL EMAILS PLEASE CLICK HERE

Draft2Digital
9400 N. Broadway, Ste. 410
Oklahoma City, OK 73114
United States

--
Janice Bennett
Murder, Mayhem...and Mirth?

--
Janice Bennett
Murder, Mayhem and Mirth (Contemporary Lighthearted Murder Mysteries)

Cynthia Terelst

Thanks Janice, that was helpful.

facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Cynthia Terelst

Author

Contemporary Romance | Young Adult Fiction

cynthiaterelst@...
www.cynthiaterelst.com
Create Your Own Free Signature