Topics

amazon's new review policy

Cheryl St.John

Has anyone noticed this?

One Tap Review is a new feature that allows amazon customers to leave a star rating on Verified Purchase orders without leaving review text. When I asked, they said: "
Amazon strives to cultivate a diversity of opinion on our products while staying within our guidelines. Part of that is allowing our customers to air their honest thoughts on items they have received."
Link to guidelines:  https://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines/.

I'm not liking this new policy at all. Seems a way to give the trolls free reign. Someone tell me I'm wrong.
Cher  :-)

--
Cheryl St.John Two hearts

Ellen Mint

It's going to drag down ratings to the point that reviews might become worthless. Great job as always, Amazon!

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:39 AM Cheryl St.John via groups.io <SaintJohn=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Has anyone noticed this?

One Tap Review is a new feature that allows amazon customers to leave a star rating on Verified Purchase orders without leaving review text. When I asked, they said: "
Amazon strives to cultivate a diversity of opinion on our products while staying within our guidelines. Part of that is allowing our customers to air their honest thoughts on items they have received."

I'm not liking this new policy at all. Seems a way to give the trolls free reign. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

--

Seelie Kay

I have a troll on Goodreads. Always leaves a one-star rating, never a review. That one star really messes up the overall rating for the book.

Sigh.

Seelie

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:52 AM Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...> wrote:
It's going to drag down ratings to the point that reviews might become worthless. Great job as always, Amazon!

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:39 AM Cheryl St.John via groups.io <SaintJohn=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Has anyone noticed this?

--

--

--
Seelie Kay
"Sizzling stories about lawyers in love, with a dash of kink!"
Follow Seelie on Facebook and Twitter!

Sierra Brave

If it's only on verified reviews, I don't think trolls will buy the book just to leave one-star. The problem with Goodreads is they don't have to buy or read the book and can just go off with their negativity with no explanation.

Love,
Sierra xoxo

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:09 AM Seelie Kay <seeliekay@...> wrote:
I have a troll on Goodreads. Always leaves a one-star rating, never a review. That one star really messes up the overall rating for the book.

Sigh.

Seelie

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:52 AM Ellen Mint <ellenmintauthor@...> wrote:

Has anyone noticed this?

--

--

--
Seelie Kay
"Sizzling stories about lawyers in love, with a dash of kink!"
Follow Seelie on Facebook and Twitter!

Nicole Morgan

This new policy went into effect some time ago. I want to say a few months ago but it might have been longer. Either way, Amazon’s review policies are definitely flawed. That’s for sure. 

On Oct 16, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Cheryl St.John via groups.io <SaintJohn@...> wrote:

Has anyone noticed this?

--

Cynthia Terelst

This is nothing new. It has been in effect for at least a year. 

On 17 Oct 2020, at 1:40 am, Nicole Morgan via groups.io <nicolemorgan_1@...> wrote:

This new policy went into effect some time ago. I want to say a few months ago but it might have been longer. Either way, Amazon’s review policies are definitely flawed. That’s for sure. 

On Oct 16, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Cheryl St.John via groups.io <SaintJohn@...> wrote:

Has anyone noticed this?

--

Anna Taylor Sweringen

Hadn't noticed, but it might help someone who liked the book but feels they don't know how to write a review to express their opinion simply and right away. If it's only available to someone who has bought the book it could be a good way to get more reviews right away. Since it's really a numbers game any way to get more reviews, I'm for it.

Anna T.S.
w/a Anna M. Taylor
A Little In Love With Death, releasing October 31

Kris Bock

Not new, and not necessarily problematic. I'll often leave just a star rating – possibly four or five stars – when I don't feel like taking the time to write a review, or when I can't think of anything to say. Would you rather I skip ranking your book altogether or give you some stars?

In fact, in my newsletter, I often include a sentence or two noting the importance of reviews. I might now add that they can simply give a star ranking if they're not comfortable writing a review. Lots of devoted readers are intimidated by the idea of giving a review or think it has to be a lot of work. This could get them to leave stars.

It's nice to have a higher star average, but if I'm considering a book, I'll look at the actual reviews, so a handful of one star reviews without text doesn't do much. In any case, the serious trolls probably enjoy saying nasty things, so why would they give up that pleasure?

NEW! Felony Melanie in Pageant Pandemonium: A Sweet Home Alabama romantic comedy novel, available in paperback and at ebook retailers
The Furrever Friends Sweet Romance series - books as cozy as a purring cat. Get them on Amazon, free with KU. 
Writing for children as Chris Eboch