1st Time Promo/Swap on Story Origin #PromoOpp #storyorigin

Sloan

Edited

I want to thank all of you who told us about Story Origin in this group. I was using BookFunnel, and still am, but Story Origin seems to offer a lot more for your money, and gives you all these great tutorials.  I finally finished setting everything up this past weekend and by Monday already had requests to do reviews on my books.  I FINALLY got my newsletter sent out on Sunday, and have scheduled newsletter swaps in Story Origin for May - July for Highland Stone since I'm releasing Book 2 in September. I also set up a newsletter swap for August where I will offer Highland Stone for $0.99 for 7 days.  My newsletter people will get the book for free that week.  Today (took day off work at regular job) I scheduled my first Group Promo for the month of May.  I'm hoping I did everything right.  I spent a couple of hours last night watching tutorials.......LOL The links seem to be working so fingers crossed.  If any of you are interested, please check out the links. This is exciting because I actually feel like I'm going to accomplish something good with this upcoming book launch.  I know it's too early to tell, but I like feeling positive. :-)

The one thing I do like about BookFunnel better is that you can do more with the landing page.  You can change the colors of the background, the buttons to coordinate with your book cover.  You can even put in italic words for emphasis so i'm going to keep that landing page for my join my newsletter button.  But definitely, for promotions, I will use Story Origin.  I like that I could create my own group promo since I couldn't find any that fit what my reader magnet was about, and I got to create the header graphic.

Thank you to everyone who is sharing information here.  I'm just getting back in the game so I feel you guys already know whatever I might have to impart.  :-)  This new software is making things so much easier.  I'm giddy!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Sloan
https://storyoriginapp.com/bundles/dea372c2-a83a-11eb-8b79-1384482246c9/info

Kris Bock

A tip for setting up Story Origin promos – the more narrow you set the criteria, the fewer people will participate. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if you want a really focused target audience. But setting up a swap that meets YOUR book or reader magnet but won't include a lot of others can be counterproductive. So, for example, "historical romance" will likely get a lot more applicants than "1800s Western Romance priced at ninety-nine cents." More applicants mean more people sharing in their newsletter and on social media. On the other hand, a promo with fifty books may mean few people scroll past the first half.

Also, if you're doing a short sale price promo to use your KU days, schedule it several months in advance. That way other people might join and schedule their KU days for the same days. If you only give them two weeks warning, they may have already use their sale days for that period.

Get The Furrever Friends Cat Café Sweet Romance series on Amazon, free with KU.
Visit the Amazon series page for the Sweet Home Alabama romantic comedy novels.
Writing for children as Chris Eboch

G B Ralph

I've had success with StoryOrigin over the past couple of months too, and will definitely continue to explore and experiment with it.

I've joined group promotion giveaways and done newsletter swaps for giveaways. One of these newsletter swaps was a great success (I gained at least 50 new mailing list subscribers in one hit, which was huge for me), and one was a failure (I'm fairly sure the author I swapped with has given up on their newsletter because I haven't seen any sent out by him).

For May I've joined a group promo sale, and scheduled two more newsletter swaps, but this time for book sales. So, I'm keen to keep trialling things and will hopefully get into a rhythm in the next few months.

Best of luck for your campaigns!

Sloan

Thanks, Kris, I'm learning......LOL

Here's a question for authors who use KU.  Is it beneficial?   I used it way back when it first came out and it did nothing substantial for 3 months so I never tried it again.  With this new book coming out in September I'm trying to find the best way to go.  I feel KU is limiting because I can't go anywhere else for 3 months.  Thoughts??????

Thanks bunches,

Sloan McBride
Author of Paranormal and Suspense Romance

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:11 AM Kris Bock <krisbock@...> wrote:
[...]

Victoria Jayne <AuthorVictoriaJayne@...>

That's a hard question to answer.

It all depends on how you market. When I was wide, it was awful. I couldn't gain traction to save my life. It didn't matter if my books were full price, or 99c, if I stacked those sale newsletters, entered the promotions hosted by the retailer, or ran ads on facebook, google, or pinterest. If I saw double digit sales between Kobo, B&N, google, and apple, I'd be surprised.

I went to TikTok, stopped doing all the ad stuff. I stopped paying for marketing. I started seeing sales, but people were asking if my books were KU. I did a tiktok poll and they overwhelmingly asked for KU.

So, I went back to KU after 5-6 months out of it. Since then, my royalties have been substantially better than the previous year.

So, it's really a question of what do your readers want? Where are they? And how do they read?

Thank you,

Victoria Jayne

https://www.authorvictoriajayne.com

Sloan

Thanks for the info, GB.  I'm hopeful that things will go well.  I've watched all the tutorials and am willing to try different things.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 4:39 PM G B Ralph <gbralph@...> wrote:
I've had success with StoryOrigin over the past couple of months too, and will definitely continue to explore and experiment with it.

I've joined group promotion giveaways and done newsletter swaps for giveaways. One of these newsletter swaps was a great success (I gained at least 50 new mailing list subscribers in one hit, which was huge for me), and one was a failure (I'm fairly sure the author I swapped with has given up on their newsletter because I haven't seen any sent out by him).

For May I've joined a group promo sale, and scheduled two more newsletter swaps, but this time for book sales. So, I'm keen to keep trialling things and will hopefully get into a rhythm in the next few months.

Best of luck for your campaigns!

Sloan

Thanks, Victoria.  I'm going to think on it and do a little more research.  I've never really liked having my books on only one venue.  I sell more on Kobo and Google than I do on Amazon so I'm not sure I want to eliminate them for any length of time.

Best,

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Victoria Jayne <AuthorVictoriaJayne@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Sloan,

Then it sounds like you're in a Canadian Market. Which is awesome,. And if you know where your readers are, then don't change. I wouldn't. Especially if your sales are ebook. Because you have your print books everywhere if you are in KU. the exclusivity only speaks to the ebook.

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of THE PROPHECY TRILOGY