StoryOrigin: What do you get for $100/year

Lisabet Sarai

Greetings!

I was over at StoryOrigin downloading a review book, and started getting a hard sell from the website.

So those of you who use the paying version of the platform - what exactly do you get for $100/year? Do you feel that it's worth it?

Thanks!

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
One look from him and I melt. One word, and I’m on my knees.

THE UNDERSTUDY: ACTS OF SUBMISSION
Steamy BDSM erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VYT8DN
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1080182

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Mary Caelsto

I had three accounts. I didn't upgrade any of them. I have ONE on the "three months free" then have a week's worth of reminders on my calendar to cancel before I get charged just to tide me over, but my new system is working well and more importantly it reinforces my website, my brand. I have since set up a swap form on my site, have a way to track link clicks, and am returning to utilizing FB groups, etc. for swaps. (For anyone interested I'll be doing a free webinar on this in a couple of months once I get some data gathered.)

My reasons were as follows:
1) No dedicated tech support. Yes, Evan does a good job, but support is reliant on HIS schedule. As someone who has done tech support and offers author website tech support, if you don't at the bare minimum have a help desk system in place to track tickets, then that is not professional and tells me he's not using the money to grow the platform.

2) Can't block authors. I declined someone for a promo. No share history. Nothing personal. I received a scathing, abusive reply in return. I turned it in, but since no one else had reported this person's behavior (so it was just me? That's a red flag.) he wouldn't remove them from the platform, and I can't block them. As someone with cPTSD, that means I can't protect my mental health. It also means he'll allow abuse on the platform as long as no one else reports it.

3) I can't put in swaps I received elsewhere. It's either work within his ecosystem or come up with a separate tracking program on your own

4) I can either accept or ignore. There's no "deny/block/oops my newsletter is full please try again" and no reason given why something is being "ignored" (from didn't read directions, to no share history, to I've already swapped for this book).

I'm sure I'm being harsher on this than most because I work in IT, but there are other reasons, including the fact that during the "launch" period he took away all the paid features, so all of a sudden people could SEE my newsletter (what? those are paid features) and apply to swap, but I couldn't take any action. I am emailing these people, pointing them to the form on my site, but the haphazard implementation of this is also a red flag. Of course that's moot because the launch period is over.

Mary
Author of women's fiction & fantasy as Mary Kit Caelsto
Are you a Muse Star? Join me for free stories + extras
Check it out at www.marykitcaelsto.com

Owner/Founder of Epona Author Solutions. Helping authors who just want to run free with technical, administrative, and coaching assistance (including editing & book formatting).
Get your free gift at EponaAuthorSolutions.com

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:29 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

The Real Cie

I honestly found Story Origin a bit overwhelming and confusing. Maybe that's just me being a big scatter brain though. I sympathize with the complex PTSD. I have that along with ADHD and a tendency to depression and anxiety, and I tend to take things very personally.

Check it out at www.marykitcaelsto.com

[...]

Victoria Jayne

I personally love storyoriginapp

It's been a life saver for me with my newsletter.

I mark my newsletter full if I'm not accepting people.

If someone I don't want to swap with asks me to swap, I send them a message and I CC Evan on the email before I Ignore it and I always ask if they have another title to swap. I come up with a benign reason so it's not personal.

Usually, it's because I've recently swapped (with titles that are anthologies several authors tens to try to swap the same book) and once a book outside my genre tried to swap and I asked if they had something else.

Otherwise I'm always game.

I've very much appreciated their audiobook review option
I'm excited for the audiobook campaign. My first one runs on the 11th

I use a lot of the features but I also have bookfunnel too. I like them both for different reasons.

Thank you,

Victoria Jayne

https://www.authorvictoriajayne.com

I've use SO from the beginning. The only thing I don't use is the audiobook portion -- I have none right now. I upgraded day one and got the lifetime discount rate of $70. I'm on SO almost every day. I use it to track:
  • writing goals (words per day)
  • newsletter swaps I'm in
  • newsletter swaps I'm offering
  • enter group promos
  • create group promos
  • universal book links
  • reader magnets
  • direct downloads
  • request reviews for new books
  • set up future campaigns. (I have them set up for a year in advance)
  • network with other authors.
One thing I do (because I'm a detailed person), is keep a spreadsheet of everyone who enters one of my events (name, email, event). Then I go back and look at who shared and how many clicks they sent. Those who sent the highest levels, I put a checkmark in on the spreadsheet. Those are people I personally invite to my next major events, and I try to build working relationships when possible. I get an email from SO regarding each person who requests to join an event. That has their email as well, which is where I get the email for my spreadsheet. I click forward, paste their email in the "To" spot, and let them know I've approved them (or not), and invite them to follow me on social media. I also include a link to my SO Facebook group. This usually gets a response with social media links, and I follow the person. I'm there to network as well as get help promoting. (I click forward because reply sends it to Evan, which I've done accidentally a few times. He always forwards back to me with a polite note that I probably meant it to go to X.

The spreadsheet also gives me a view of how X joined two of my events but didn't share, so I can know to delete their request next time. You can't block, but to ignore, you just delete the email / hit ignore on the event. No one knows if you don't accept -- they just don't get a yes.

I use SO and (rarely) BookClicker. It doesn't offer half what SO does and it's clunky to set up a promo. I have a Bookfunnel account too, but unless you buy in at the $100 a year option, you can't get email addresses, so there's no opportunity to build your list.

Evan responds to questions within a few hours, and he's responsive to problems. There's a Facebook group where you can share opportunities and ask questions. Other members are quick to advise, and Evan answers there as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/StoryOrigin I created a Facebook group for my own sf/sfr/pnr promos and have over 100 members. We share opportunities on SO and also other platforms. https://www.facebook.com/groups/sf.and.spaceopera/

Join Kayelle's Keepers www.facebook.com/groups/KayellesKeepers

Victoria Jayne

You said it all way better than me lol

But yes! All of this! I use a bunch of those features too.

You can also see your swap history of you don't keep track of it yourself externally

Thank you,

Victoria Jayne

https://www.authorvictoriajayne.com

Lisabet Sarai

Mary, Cie and Victoria... thanks for your comments.

However, you're way ahead of me. I was trying to figure out what features and capabilities this platform will provide.

I gather there's a newsletter swap function. And I know you can put books up for review, but how does that work? Any way to build your email list from StoryOrigin?

Thanks!

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
One look from him and I melt. One word, and I’m on my knees.

THE UNDERSTUDY: ACTS OF SUBMISSION
Steamy BDSM erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VYT8DN
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1080182

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Lisabet Sarai

Hiya, Kayelle,

Thanks!

I'll bet you're a full time writer... ;^) No way I'd ever have time to do all that. I'm lucky if I can log in every day to get Lisabet's emails!

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
One look from him and I melt. One word, and I’m on my knees.

THE UNDERSTUDY: ACTS OF SUBMISSION
Steamy BDSM erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VYT8DN
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1080182

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Sloan

Victoria,

I have received 2 requests for the group promo but neither one of them is romance and one is horror which I absolutely do not write.  I'm not sure how to respond.  I specifically put that it needed to be a story with romance or romantic elements.  I've never done this before.  I was going to email them both and state that I am looking only for romance books, but thank you for your interest then ignore their request.  Does that sound like its reasonable? I certainly don't want to offend someone.  And should I cc Evan?

Thanks.

Sloan McBride
Author of Paranormal and Suspense Romance

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 8:39 PM Victoria Jayne <AuthorVictoriaJayne@...> wrote:
[...]

Kris Bock

Victoria said: I have received 2 requests for the group promo but neither one of them is romance and one is horror which I absolutely do not write.  ... I was going to email them both and state that I am looking only for romance books, but thank you for your interest then ignore their request.

In my opinion, you are being unnecessarily polite. They're wasting your time by applying without reading your guidelines or else ignoring them. Simply ignore the requests. No need to explain. These are not people you want to connect with further. You can always ignore a request without explanation.

If you WANT to explain why you're turning something down now, because they are a good fit for a swap but not right now, and you'd like to do a newsletter swap at a different time, or with a different book etc., then you can write to explain.

Story Origin has lots of tutorial videos. I've mostly just poked around and figured out things on my own, but if you don't want to do that or that's not a good way to learn for you, try the videos. They'll probably work better than asking for people to explain here.

Get The Furrever Friends Cat Café Sweet Romance series on Amazon, free with KU.
Visit the Amazon series page for the Sweet Home Alabama romantic comedy novels.
Writing for children as Chris Eboch

Victoria Jayne

You can to be nice. But if the group promotion clearly states it's romance and they have books with no romance, then you deny them.

Have you posted in the storyoriginapp group on facebook about the campaign to get more sign ups?

Or in any of the other romance author groups? What's the link for it? If you want I can share it with some romance authors

Thank you,

Victoria Jayne

https://www.authorvictoriajayne.com

Victoria Jayne

Hi Lisabet,

Yes there is. They have things they call campaigns. On there you can join the ones for newsletters.

When you set up your landing page for the reader magnet you indicate the person has to give their email address to get the reader magnet.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021, 7:24 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Kris.  That was actually me asking.  :-)

I did watch the tutorials over the weekend but it really didn't give any kind of protocol.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 8:34 AM Kris Bock <krisbock@...> wrote:
[...]

Agree, Lisabet.  I'm not a full time author either. I do have a day job that sucks the life out of me....LOL  I'm doing the best I can.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 6:24 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

I looked at the FB groups SO gives. I asked to join a couple of them that I felt were in my area. I received one email back that I am now a member of PNR group but I haven't done anything yet.  I haven't had time to read through the guidelines yet or do prepare any posts.  That is on my list to do.

Thank you for your kind offer to share.  Here is the link:   https://storyoriginapp.com/bundles/dea372c2-a83a-11eb-8b79-1384482246c9/info

Best,

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 9:46 AM Victoria Jayne <AuthorVictoriaJayne@...> wrote:
You can to be nice. But if the group promotion clearly states it's romance and they have books with no romance, then you deny them.

Have you posted in the storyoriginapp group on facebook about the campaign to get more sign ups?

Or in any of the other romance author groups? What's the link for it? If you want I can share it with some romance authors

Thank you,

Victoria Jayne

https://www.authorvictoriajayne.com

Victoria Jayne

I work full time Mon-Fri 9a-5p
I run 2 Discord servers
I'm extremely active on a 3rd
I have my trilogy published
I just signed a contract with a small publisher at the end of March with edits to start at the end of June (They are turning my one manuscript into 2 books)
I just submitted the second manuscript to them for consideration
I am editing the 3rd manuscript
I have to re-write the 4th; I have the 5th plotted
I have the prequel to another series written that I hope to use as a reader magnet
the other series is semi plotted - it will be another paranormal romance trilogy though
I'm trying to help my friend start a publishing company
I'm also trying to organize a book signing in New Orleans for 2022

I send my newsletter out weekly
I do 6-12 tiktoks a day - so far my best marketing tool ever
I just dipped my toe back into Amazon marketing and just won an appeal with Amazon over my book cover being too racy to run ads. it's not and I'm running them

I'm married and have two children ages 4 and 2 /

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of THE PROPHECY TRILOGY

--
Thank you,

Victoria Jayne
Author of The Prophecy Trilogy

Website: www.AuthorVictoriaJayne.com

Victoria Jayne

Shared :)

I see it's for a free book/reader magnet and mailing list builder. Hopefully, you will get some singn-ups

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:29 PM Sloan <sloan.McBride@...> wrote:
[...]

I love my day job. But it means I can't be Lisabet full-time. And I definitely have to make hard choices when it comes to marketing.

There is no one size fits all.

Thanks to those of you have replied to my question, though. You all rock!

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
One look from him and I melt. One word, and I’m on my knees.

THE UNDERSTUDY: ACTS OF SUBMISSION
Steamy BDSM erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VYT8DN
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1080182

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

Lidia Zakutnaya

I got about 800 NL subscribers through group giveaways on SO. It took a few giveaways over at least half a year to get there. I've been unsubscribing inactive the whole time and some unsubscribed themselves. Out of those I got through SO 350 are active and they give me a 35-38% open rate. So, yes, you can grow your mailing list.

On top of group promos, you can do newsletter swaps either for your reader magnet, for ARCs, or for universal book links.

The way it works is that you schedule your campaigns ahead of time. For example, I email every Thursday for one NL and every Friday for another. I scheduled it and said repeat every week for 10 weeks. Done. Takes minutes to set everything up for the next few months.

After that you can search other people's campaigns by genre. There's a filter that will help you with that.

You will end up with a long list of campaigns you can swap with. Each of them will have their list size, open rate, and click rate listed. You can also check their swap history to see if they actually follow through.

Every time you apply for a swap, it will add it to your campaign callender, so you can see how many swaps you applied for and how many were accepted. It's very handy for me.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021, 7:18 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much, Victoria.  I appreciate the information.

I saw your post about all you do.  When I was your age and had little kids I did everything too.  My critique partners used to ask if I ever slept.....LOL  Oh to be there again.  😥  Still, I'm entering a new phase of my life and I'm looking forward to slower and being able to smell the roses.....so to speak! The writing is always uplifting and I look forward to it.  That will never change.  ☺

Happy Weekend!!!!!