Kindle Vella? #help

Viviana

Good morning!
Does anybody know more about Kindle Vella?
Is it a writing tool, or you actually publish chapters/parts of the book?
thank you,
Vi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

Viviana

Actually, I found this.
What do you think?
Personally, I like it, but I tend to like everything knew.
I guess it works for shorter stories, to build a readership that will buy bug-butt novels when they come out.

Frequently asked questions

1. When will my story be available to readers?

Readers will be able to enjoy your stories when we make the Kindle Vella store available in the next few months. Learn more about the reader experience.

2. What happens if I publish an episode before the Kindle Vella store is available to readers?

With Kindle Vella, you can choose to publish your episode immediately or schedule publication on a future date. If you publish a story before Kindle Vella is available to readers, all stories in compliance with our content guidelines with a Live status will be ready and waiting when Kindle Vella stories become available. We recommend publishing at least 5-10 episodes before stories become available so readers can dig in right away.

If you’re not ready to publish or don’t want all your episodes to go live at once, we recommend leaving episodes in a Draft status, then publishing or scheduling publication after the Kindle Vella store is live for readers. Learn more about episode release dates.

3. What kind of content should I publish?

To provide the best experience for readers, Kindle Vella stories should be written specifically to be released in a serial format, one 600–5,000 word episode at a time. If you have a story in this format that is available elsewhere, you can also publish it with Kindle Vella. To ensure a good customer experience, Kindle Vella does not accept content that's freely available. Learn more about our content guidelines

4. How will I earn royalties through Kindle Vella?

You’ll earn 50% of what readers spend on the Tokens that are used to unlock your story’s episodes. You’ll also be eligible for a launch bonus based on customer activity and engagement. To make it easy for readers to find stories they love, the first few episodes of every story are free. The number of Tokens needed to unlock an episode is determined by the episode’s word count at the rate of one token per 100 words. Learn more about Token pricing and royalties.

5. Where is Kindle Vella publishing available?

Kindle Vella publishing is currently available to publishers who reside in the U.S. to publish stories in English.
--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

I'm looking at this. I heard Facebook wants to do something similar. Would I trust Facebook with my work in any way shape or fashion? Hell no. But I would give this a shot. It's a huge subscriber industry to do stories this way. I have a friend who's been reading them for years now. So it's not like there isn't a market or they'll have to sell people on a radically new idea.
I think there will be money in it for those who can make the adjustment.

Join Kayelle's Keepers www.facebook.com/groups/KayellesKeepers

Viviana

I will not go to FB in any way humanly possible.
But Amazon I trust a bit more.
I've been low key trying to find magazines that do the serialize thingy, and never found one. But then again, I looked in a very casual way.
It appears now I can do it.
Not sure one should get in for the money, my guts tell me it's more to building solid readership, which works well with me.
I have at least 3 stories 90% done that would fit, I'm sending my editor  (Daryl, that would be you ;D) the first one.

I'm actually excited.
Vi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

The Real Cie

I'll have to give it another look. I don't know if it would work for me because the "serial" stuff I write is intended to become a novella or novel in the future and also my ADHD brain tends to jump from one part of my universe to another. Also, as those of you who participate in the MFRW hops know, my main serial is smutty, and from what I could determine, this platform doesn't permit erotica.
Cie

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 7:54 AM Viviana via groups.io <vivi.mackade=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good morning!
Does anybody know more about Kindle Vella?
Is it a writing tool, or you actually publish chapters/parts of the book?
thank you,
Vi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

Anna Taylor Sweringen

I get David Gaughran's newsletter and he shared this today about Vella. I don't know if the links will work here but you can always google the articles he's mentioning:

Hey,

I was planning something else this week, but I’m getting a lot of questions about Amazon’s shiny new toy: Kindle Vella – basically Amazon's answer to Radish. And your excitement levels about that probably map closely to whether you are asking “what is a Radish?”

There have been a few attempts to popularize serialized fiction in the last ten years from open platforms like Wattpad, which leaned more towards newer authors and building a community, to curated operations like (the now-defunct) Kindle Serials – which attempted a more top-down approach. It’s only in the last couple of years where authors have really started to make some money from serialized fiction – predominantly via a clutch of serialized story apps like Radish, and mostly in romance. Not all readers are into serials, and not all authors like writing them, but there are people making money from them – which has now caught Amazon’s attention.

This isn't something I'm super interested in as a writer or a reader, so I'll point you to some other sources for more in-depth analysis, but I will add a few comments about author compensation in a moment – because that’s going to be critical.

This post from Monica Leonelle on Medium breaks down the pros, cons, and mehs for authors interested in Kindle Vella, and this post from Publishwide has a closer look at the numbers and other terms for participating. (Do pay close attention to those terms if you are interested because there are some pretty big restrictions – e.g. you can’t serialize the books you already have on sale.)

This will probably be of most interest to romance authors, as serials are much more popular with romance readers than any other niche – AFAIK – and will generally suit a fast writer who is able to adapt quickly to market trends. Plus ça change, says you.

Before anyone gets too excited – if indeed you are excited, reactions have been quite mixed as far as I can tell – I just want to add a note of caution around the author compensation terms, which you can find broken down in the above post from Publishwide in more detail.

The compensation system is, of course, quite opaque. Not quite ACX-levels of opaque, but not exactly straightforward. There are a couple of aspects we definitely need more information on.

On the surface, it seems simple: readers pay to read stories with pre-paid tokens, and Amazon says it will be sharing 50% of the proceeds with authors. But the devil is in the details.

For example, some form of dynamic pricing of these tokens seems on the cards – which will affect the pay rates, as those are directly related to the price charged for tokens. Amazon also seems to have left open the possibility of dishing out free tokens to readers without compensating authors - which is great for Amazon and helps build its walled garden a little higher. Perhaps less great for authors.

Self-publishers have pored over the examples from Amazon and worked out the numbers to be more favorable than Kindle Unlimited pay rates – but this is exactly where you should be cautious. Those who have been around for a while will remember Amazon having some pretty misleading examples to accompany the rollout of KDP Select and Kindle Unlimited. Indeed, some have noticed the price of tokens changing already (and you can guess which direction that went in).

That’s all I have for the moment – I’ll be back next Friday with something meaty on metadata and marketing. Check out the above articles for a deeper analysis if the idea of writing serials has piqued your interest and you want the nuts-and-bolts.

Oh and if you are an international author who is wondering what I’m speaking about, Kindle Vella is for US-based authors and readers only so you’ll have to get your confusingly funded kicks elsewhere. For now, at least.

Dave

Lisabet Sarai

Cie, where did you find this information about Vella not allowing erotica?

What about erotic romance?

Thanks!

Warmly,
Lisabet

--
Can two people from different worlds share a future?

ASIAN ADVENTURES: EROTIC TALES FROM THE EAST
Bisexual, multicultural erotic romance by Lisabet Sarai
Amazon: http://bit.ly/AsianAdventures
FREE on Kindle Unlimited!

*Imagination is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Visit Lisabet Sarai's Fantasy Factory - http://www.lisabetsarai.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/408adebmmagaehsewadauqyazauyb/click.php )
Venture Beyond Romance - http://lisabetsarai.blogspot.com ( https://ymlptr1.com/82a84ebmjapaehsewarauqyagauyb/click.php )
Follow me on Twitter: @lisabetsarai ( https://ymlptr1.com/25594ebmbanaehsewazauqyarauyb/click.php )*

The Real Cie

Keep in mind my ADHD brain and lack of patience for reading long descriptions. There was something in the content guidelines about no sexually explicit language. But this could have been just for descriptions. I have to break this stuff down into chunks because I lose patience with it. It doesn't look like a great platform for me, but it might be good for other people.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 6:29 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

Sierra Brave

That seems to be for tags:

Tags

You can add up to seven tags for each story. To ensure tags help readers get a feel for your story and make good purchasing decisions, please avoid:
  • Information covered elsewhere in your Story’s metadata (title, contributors, etc.)
  • Subjective claims about quality (e.g., "best")
  • Time-sensitive statements (e.g., "new")
  • Information common to most items in the category ("story")
  • Spelling errors
  • Anything misrepresentative, like the name of an author who's not associated with your Story. This kind of information can create a confusing customer experience. Kindle Vella has a zero tolerance policy for metadata that is meant to advertise, promote, or mislead
  • Amazon program names like "Kindle Vella"
  • Language promoting violence or intolerance
  • Sexually explicit language
Note all eBook keyword guidelines also apply to tags.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 8:29 AM Lisabet Sarai <lisabet@...> wrote:
[...]

Sloan

I haven't been very active in FB for a long while.  After I got over 1000 friends I started to just get friend requests from middle-aged men from other countries.  Ugh! I'm still watching the webinars by David Gaughran, and although I haven't gotten too far yet, I do understand he suggests FB as part of his 3 necessities.  I'm skeptical, but I'll keep listening and see how things go.....LOL

Sloan McBride
Author of Paranormal and Suspense Romance

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM Viviana via groups.io <vivi.mackade=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I will not go to FB in any way humanly possible.
But Amazon I trust a bit more.
I've been low key trying to find magazines that do the serialize thingy, and never found one. But then again, I looked in a very casual way.
It appears now I can do it.
Not sure one should get in for the money, my guts tell me it's more to building solid readership, which works well with me.
I have at least 3 stories 90% done that would fit, I'm sending my editor  (Daryl, that would be you ;D) the first one.

I'm actually excited.
Vi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

Sloan

I'm looking at this as well.  I do have one story that I think might fit, but I have to read up on it some more.  I'm always up for trying something new (when I have the time).

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 9:17 AM Kayelle Allen <sempervians@...> wrote:
I'm looking at this. I heard Facebook wants to do something similar. Would I trust Facebook with my work in any way shape or fashion? Hell no. But I would give this a shot. It's a huge subscriber industry to do stories this way. I have a friend who's been reading them for years now. So it's not like there isn't a market or they'll have to sell people on a radically new idea.
I think there will be money in it for those who can make the adjustment.

Join Kayelle's Keepers www.facebook.com/groups/KayellesKeepers

Margo Bond Collins

Hi, Viviana! I have a Kindle Vella Authors group on FB. We have several serial-writing experts over there. The author of the #2 serial on Radish is doing a mini-course on writing for serial apps for free for us this week. Anyone who is considering writing for Vella is welcome. 💙

~Margo

_________________________

Margo Bond Collins
New York Times Bestselling Author

~ Aim for the Heart ~

_________________________

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 8:54 AM Viviana via groups.io <vivi.mackade=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good morning!
Does anybody know more about Kindle Vella?
Is it a writing tool, or you actually publish chapters/parts of the book?
thank you,
Vi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

Tracey Cramer-Kelly

Margo, I'd like to take the "class" on writing serials!!
How can I be included?
I'm not a big FB user - I can join a group but I seldom ever get notifications because I'm just not every active - so if there's another way (like an email list?) I'd love to know about it.
My direct email is tcktalk@...

Thank you!

--
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
Heroes with a Touch of Vulnerability

Sloan

Margo,

I signed up for the Vella FB group and the Boxed Set FB group.  Thanks for letting us know about those.  I am also interested in taking the Vella class; however, I work during the day and won't be available when it is going on. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some things from the posts.  😁

Best,

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 3:16 PM Margo Bond Collins <margobondcollins@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Tracey! Alana Albertson is doing the mini-course for free in my group. When she's done, I'm going to ask her if I can put it all into a file and save it there. She also has a much longer paid course you can buy here: https://alana-albertson.mykajabi.com/offers/gkGuQGZV/checkout

~Margo

_________________________

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 12:48 PM Tracey Cramer-Kelly <tcktalk@...> wrote:
Margo, I'd like to take the "class" on writing serials!!
How can I be included?
I'm not a big FB user - I can join a group but I seldom ever get notifications because I'm just not every active - so if there's another way (like an email list?) I'd love to know about it.
My direct email is tcktalk@...

Thank you!

--
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
Heroes with a Touch of Vulnerability
www.TKRomance.com

Margo Bond Collins

We're delighted to have you join us, Sloan! (And everyone else who joined, too.)
_________________________

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 2:16 PM Sloan <sloan.McBride@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry for the late reply, my account was 'bouncing' (whatever it is...)
I just joined the Vella group.

May I ask for the FB link for the Boxed Set FB group? I run a search but I could only find the sport of boxing...
Thank you SO much!
VIvi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

Sloan

Vivian,

I found the link when I read the information about the Vella Group. It's at the bottom of the message.  See you there.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 4:00 PM Viviana via groups.io <vivi.mackade=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm sorry for the late reply, my account was 'bouncing' (whatever it is...)
I just joined the Vella group.

May I ask for the FB link for the Boxed Set FB group? I run a search but I could only find the sport of boxing...
Thank you SO much!
VIvi

--
www.viviana-mackade.blog

Tracey Cramer-Kelly

Margo,

I requested membership in the FB group under my personal page - for some reason I could not request it as my author page.