Re: amazon's new review policy

Kris Bock

Not new, and not necessarily problematic. I'll often leave just a star rating – possibly four or five stars – when I don't feel like taking the time to write a review, or when I can't think of anything to say. Would you rather I skip ranking your book altogether or give you some stars?

In fact, in my newsletter, I often include a sentence or two noting the importance of reviews. I might now add that they can simply give a star ranking if they're not comfortable writing a review. Lots of devoted readers are intimidated by the idea of giving a review or think it has to be a lot of work. This could get them to leave stars.

It's nice to have a higher star average, but if I'm considering a book, I'll look at the actual reviews, so a handful of one star reviews without text doesn't do much. In any case, the serious trolls probably enjoy saying nasty things, so why would they give up that pleasure?

NEW! Felony Melanie in Pageant Pandemonium: A Sweet Home Alabama romantic comedy novel, available in paperback and at ebook retailers
The Furrever Friends Sweet Romance series - books as cozy as a purring cat. Get them on Amazon, free with KU.
Writing for children as Chris Eboch